O’FALLON, MO- The Quincy Gems (16-17, 3-2) paid the O’Fallon Hoots (16-16, 1-4) a visit Saturday to play a modified doubleheader. Game one was a continuation of July 1’s suspended game, picking up where that game left off when it was suspended due to weather, bases loaded with one out in the bottom of the third with Quincy at the plate. Game two was then a seven-inning game.
Quincy took care of business in game one, winning the continued game 9-8. Game two featured a back-and-forth battle, but the Gems were able to pull out a 6-4 win to finish the doubleheader sweep.
Game One – Gems Win 8-7
Inside the Box Score
- Nick Harms finished the game with four RBIs and three hits while also scoring two runs.
- Tucker Platt, Maloy Heaghney, and Ethan Rossow also tacked on one RBI each.
- Zach Beatty and Braedon Stoakes both had two-hit games.
How it Happened
- With the bags loaded to start the game, Harry Fandre grounded out to Hoots pitcher Matt Haley to drive in Kyle Hvidsten and give the Gems a 5-4 lead.
- Joe Siervo increased their newfound lead in the bottom of the fourth. With one out, Siervo sent a ball well into the Hoots’ bullpen for a solo shot, making the score 6-4.
- O’Fallon found their response in the top of the seventh. With two outs, Jack Meyer extended the inning with a double. Nick Harms then made the Gems pay for failing to end the inning by launching a ball to straight-away center for a two-run homer to tie the game at 6-6.
- The tie did not last long. In the bottom half of the seventh, leadoff man Hvidsten muscled a home run into right-center field and retake the lead for Quincy, 7-6.
- Some Quincy insurance came in the bottom of the eighth. With the bases loaded and two outs, Hvidsten added to his impressive game with a two-RBI single to increase their lead to 9-6.
- Down to their final three outs, the Hoots were not going out quietly. With two runners in scoring position, Tucker Platt singled to drive Tyson Ludwig in and cut the deficit to two. Drew Politte then popped out in foul territory, which allowed Harms to score and bring the Hoots within one, 9-8. Unfortunately, that was as far as the comeback made it, with the Gems securing the final out of the game, securing the win.
Game Two – Gems Win 6-4
Inside the Box Score
- Jack Meyer hits his fourth home run of the season.
- Meyer with two hits and three RBIs in the game.
- Sam Feltz threw two innings of relief without allowing a run and striking out three batters.
How it Happened
- The Gems opened up game two with three runs in the first inning. Kyle Hvidsten singled to bring in two runs. Later Hvidsten would score on an RBI single from Jack Zebig,
- Meyer responded for O’Fallon as he launched his fourth home run of the season, a two-run blast in the bottom of the first inning to make it a 3-2 game.
- The Hoots added two more runs to take the lead in the bottom of the second inning. Zach Beatty scored on a wild pitch before Meyer delivered an RBI-infiled single to score Matthew Arnold from third base.
- Quincy tied things up in the top of the fourth inning, as Joe Siervo grounded out to the shortstop Ludwig; but on the play, Luke Jessen was able to score.
- The Gems took the lead in the top of the 5th inning as Zebig scored on a throwing error. In the same inning, Quincy extended their lead to 6-4 on an RBI infield single from Harry Fandre.
Up to Date
After a day off tomorrow, the Hoots kick off a three-game road trip on Monday, July 10, with a visit to the Cape Catfish. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. CST, and coverage can be found at ofallonhoots.com, as well as the team’s Twitter (@ofallonbaseball) and Instagram (ofallonhoots).