Mize’s home run provides Hoots’s lone run
Following two straight road losses, the O’Fallon Hoots (25-23, 9-11) returned home to CarShield Field on Sunday night to take on the Quincy Gems (25-23, 12-8). In what became a battle of the pitchers, Quincy came out on top by a score of 3-1.
Inside the Box Score
- Drew Mize hit his second home run of the season, scoring O’Fallon’s only run of the day.
- Tyler Ferguson added another multi-hit game to his resume, going 2-3 from the plate.
- Despite picking up the loss, Coby Rogers went five innings deep in his start, allowing just one earned run.
How it Happened
- The first run of the game did not come until the top of the third. Two straight hits started the inning for Quincy. Joe Siervo then hit into a fielder’s choice, but two throwing errors from the Hoots allowed Charles Schebler to score the game’s first run. A sacrifice fly from Tristan Memy was good enough to score another Gem run, making it 2-0.
- It took until the bottom of the fifth for the Hoots to get on the scoreboard. With one out, Drew Mize demolished a ball over the left field bleachers for a solo home run, bringing O’Fallon within one, 2-1.
- With their lead down to one, Quincy added some insurance in the top of the seventh. Siervo reached first after being hit by a pitch and eventually advanced to third base. Jordan Scott then hit a fly out into center field, which was deep enough for Siervo to come home and up Quincy’s lead to 3-1.
After a day of rest on Monday, the Hoots host another home game Tuesday, July 25, against the Thrillville Thrillbillies. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. CST, and coverage for the contest can be found at ofallonhoots.com, as well as the team’s Twitter (@ofallonbaseball) and Instagram (ofallonhoots).