Long Launches Two Home Runs
O’FALLON, MO– The O’Fallon Hoots (27-29, 12-17) welcomed the Praire Land Division first-half champions, Cape Catfish (39-17, 17-11) for one final meeting in the 2023 season at CarShield Field on Thursday, August 2. In a back-and-forth game through six innings, the Catfish exploded for 10 runs in the top of the seventh to take the lead and eventually capture a 15-7 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Long launches two home runs in the game.
- Chase Beattie hit his third home run in two days, with a two-run shot.
- Drew Mize went 3-4 at the plate with two doubles.
How it Happened
- Cape got on the board in the top of the first inning as Justin Carinci lined an RBI single into center field to make it 1-0.
- The Hoots responded in the bottom of the first inning to take the lead on a two-run home run off the bat of Long.
- The Catfish tied the game at 2-2 in the top of the third inning as Lane Crowden drove in a run on an RBI single.
- Beattie put the Hoots back in front in the bottom of the third inning on an RBI single that scored Tyson Ludwig to make a 3-2 score.
- The Catfish tied the game back up in the top of the fourth inning on an RBI groundout by Hall to bring home, Jeff Clarke.
- Long parked his second home run of the game in the bottom of the fourth inning, a solo shot to Put the Hoots back in front 4-3.
- Curry Sutherland tied the game once again for the Catfish in the top half of the sixth inning with a solo home run.
- Cape grabbed their first lead since the top of the first inning, as Tucker Stockman drove in the go-ahead run on a single to right field in the top of the seventh inning, to put the Catfish up 5-4.
- Beattie quickly put the Hoots back in front in the bottom of the seventh inning, as he hit a two-run home run to make it 6-5 in favor of O’Fallon.
- Cape took advantage of a big top of the eighth inning, scoring 10 runs. Highlighted by a bases-clearing double by Carinci, the Catfish scored several runs on a bases-loaded walks to go ahead 15-6.
- Brady Kindhart got a run back for the Hoots in the bottom of the eighth inning, as he doubled to bring home Mize.
The Hoots kick off a two-game set with the Springfield Lucky Horseshoes starting on Friday, August 3. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CST, and coverage can be found at ofallonhoots.com, as well as the team’s Twitter (@ofallonbaseball) and Instagram (ofallonhoots).