Michael Long hits two home runs, drives in six runs
ALTON, IL- The O’Fallon Hoots (21-20, 6-8) headed to Llyod Hopkins Field looking to sweep a three-game series against their Prarie Land Division rival, Alton RiverDragons (14-27, 5-10) on Sunday, July 16. After winning the first two games of the series at home on Saturday, the Hoots offense exploded in the weekend finale, defeating Alton 13-3 in eight innings to secure the series sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Long hit two home runs and drove in six runs.
- Coby Rogers tossed seven innings on the mound, only allowing one run on four hits, while striking out three batters.
- Nick Harms went 5-5 at the plate with two RBIs.
- Jack Meyer, John Stallcup and Tyler Ferguson all had multi-hit performances.
How it Happened
- O’Fallon struck first on the night with two runs in the top of the second inning. Chase Beattie hit an RBI single to bring home the game’s first run. Later in the inning, Tyson Ludwig drew a bases-loaded walk that allowed Beattie to score.
- Diego Murillo got one run back for Alton in the bottom of the second inning, on an RBI single, making it a 2-1 Hoots lead.
- In the top of the third inning, Long hit his first home run of the night, a two-run home run to put O’Fallon up 4-1.
- The Hoots put up a crooked number in the top of the sixth inning as they scored six runs in the frame. Ludwig first scored on a wild pitch, Meyer hit an RBI single, Nick Harms hit an RBI single and Long hit his second home run of the ballgame, a three-run shot. O’Fallon took a commanding 10-1 lead.
- In the top of the eighth inning, the Hoots finalized their scoring with three more runs. Harms doubled home a run, Long then drove in his sixth RBI of the game on a base hit. The final tally was put on the scoreboard from a Stallcup RBI single to score Harms.
- The RiverDragons added two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, from an Aiden Joaquin two-run single, but O’Fallon held the score to the final 13-3, ending the game in only eight innings.
The Hoots return to CarShield Field on Tuesday, July 18th to play host to the Jackson Rockabillies. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CST. Coverage can be found at ofallonhoots.com, as well as the team’s Twitter (@ofallonbaseball) and Instagram (ofallonhoots).