Eight out of 10 Hoots batters knocked in RBIs
Looking to complete the two-game sweep, the O’Fallon Hoots (12-9) took on the Burlington Bees (7-14) Monday night. The Hoots accomplished their mission, dismantling the Bees 15-5 in just seven innings.
Inside the Box Score
- Chase Beattie led all players in RBIs with three across two hits and scoring two runs himself.
- Four other O’Fallon players (Ethan Rossow, Mike O’Conor, John Stallcup, Maloy Heaghney) also had multi-RBI games.
- In addition to his two RBIs, Ethan Rossow also swiped two stolen bases. Braedon Stoakes had one as well.
- In the two-game series, O’Fallon outscored Burlington by a combined score of 26-7.
How It Happened
- Burlington was the squad to strike first. With one runner on in the bottom of the first inning, Mason Schwalbac powered a home run to right field to put the Bees up 2-0.
- An O’Fallon response immediately came in the top of the second. With the bags loaded, Maloy Heaghney walked to drive Chase Beattie in. Braedon Stoakes then hit an infield single to score Michael Long. Another infield hit came from Ethan Rossow, scoring Zach Beatty. Another pair of singles, this time from Jack Meyer and Nick Harms put the Hoots up 5-0. Mike O’Conor grounded out to let Rossow score the final run of O’Fallons six-spot.
- A Burlington response did come in the bottom half of the inning. Jaden Hackbarth used an RBI single to pull his team within three, 6-3.
- The Bees’s rally continued in the third. Coy Sarsfield scored on a Kooper Shulte double, and Schulte himself would score thanks to two wild pitches, setting the score at 6-5.
- The lead did not stay at one for long though. In the top of the fourth, Beattie doubled to drive in three RBIs, jacking the O’Fallon lead up to 9-5. Then, a pair of wild pitches eventually let Beattie cross home. With the bases empty, Beatty scored on a Heaghney triple, and Heaghney then scored on a ground out from Rossow, making the score 12-5.
- The final three Hoots runs came in the sixth. O’Conor drew a walk with the bases loaded to push Rossow across home, and then, with the bags still loaded, John Stallcup singled to score two, increasing the Hoots’s lead to 15-5, where it would stand until the end of the run-rule win.
O’Fallon continues their prolonged road trip Tuesday with a double-header against the Normal Cornbelters. First pitch for game one is set for 11 p.m. CST, and coverage can be found at ofallonhoots.com, as well as the team’s Twitter (@ofallonbaseball) and Instagram (ofallonhoots).